Riding a bicycle is a great way to get some exercise in, commute without incurring many costs, and spend time outdoors. But riding a bicycle also means putting yourself at risk – drivers of motor vehicles on the road don’t always exercise the degree of care that’s owed to cyclists and others. If a bicycle accident occurs, the cyclist involved is likely to suffer serious injuries, including injuries that may be fatal. If you’re the victim of a bicycle accident in Bellevue, or the surviving loved one of a accident victim, our Bellevue bicycle accident lawyers at the Premier Law Group can help. Reach out to us today to learn more about your legal rights and how our team can be of assistance.
Negligence Causes Bike Crashes
Part of putting an end to bicycle accidents–as well as ensuring that those who have been involved in bike crashes are compensated for their harm–is determining how bicycle accidents happen. Sadly, the vast majority of bicycle accidents would never occur but for the errors of drivers on the road. Driver negligence, which is entirely preventable, is the leading cause of cyclist harm.
Examples of driver negligence that can result in a cyclist being hit include:
- Following too closely;
- Making a right-hand turn in front of a cyclist;
- Making a left-hand turn into a cyclist;
- Failing to provide enough distance between a car and a bicyclist to the right (on the shoulder/bike lane);
- Driving while intoxicated or impaired; and
- Distracted driving.
Bicycle accidents often occur because the driver of the motor vehicle doesn’t see the cyclist. While this is usually a result of the driver’s negligence, wearing lights, bright colors, and reflective materials can all help a bicyclist to be more visible.
Bicycle Accidents Lead To Serious Injuries
If a bicyclist is struck by a motor vehicle, they are almost certain to suffer serious injuries. These injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries;
- Internal injuries;
- Facial injuries;
- Back and neck injuries;
- Spinal cord injuries;
- Crushed limbs;
- Bone fracture injuries;
- Road rash; and
- Soft tissue injuries.
Bicycle injuries can be permanently impairing, resulting in long-term disability, lost wages, and high medical costs and future care costs (such as the costs of home health aid). There are also noneconomic losses associated with bicycle crashes, including the value of the cyclist’s pain, suffering, psychological harm, and emotional distress.
Who Pays For Damages After A Crash?
Our Bellevue bicycle accident lawyers are passionate about helping cyclists recover the compensation that they deserve after a serious crash. When you hire our law firm, we will investigate your case to determine who’s at fault. Because Washington is an at-fault state, if you’ve been hit by a driver of a motor vehicle, you maintain the right to file a claim for damages against the driver’s insurance. You may also have coverage through your own insurance policy, depending on the situation and the coverage types you carry (this is possible even if you were riding your bike rather than driving at the time of the crash). If another party was to blame, such as the party responsible for road maintenance, or the manufacturer of your bike if a bike defect caused the crash, you have a right to bring forth a claim against the at-fault party.
Our law firm will determine and prove fault, calculate your damages, and negotiate your settlement. We know how much loss you’ve suffered, and want to make sure you receive the compensation award you need.
Top Reasons To Work With Bellevue Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Even if you’ve been seriously injured, you may not be convinced that you need a lawyer. If you want to recover the maximum compensation award possible, though, working with an attorney is strongly recommended. Top reasons to work with Bellevue bicycle accident lawyers include:
- The fault may be disputed. If you are found to be partially at fault for your accident, your settlement can be reduced in proportion to your degree of damages.
- The insurer may deny your claim. Don’t assume that an insurance company will approve your claim – insurers are constantly on the lookout for ways to deny claims, including placing blame on your shoulders, claiming that your injuries were preexisting, or stating that the policy in place doesn’t apply to your situation.
- You may be offered less than you deserve. Even if your claim is approved, you may be offered less than you deserve. This is where our law firm can provide you with the negotiation skills necessary.
How Our Bellevue Bicycle Accident Lawyers Can Help
Bicycle accident claims can be complicated. Injured cyclists deserve justice and full financial support. If you or your loved one suffered a serious injury in a bicycle accident, it is imperative that you consult with an experienced attorney. No matter the specific circumstances of your case, we are ready to take action to protect your rights and help you get the best possible settlement. Among other things, our Bellevue bicycle accident attorneys will:
- Conduct a free, in-depth evaluation of your bicycle accident injury claim;
- Listen to your story and explain your legal rights;
- Investigate the bicycle accident—gathering important evidence;
- Order all medical records and medical bills, thoroughly documenting your damages;
- Handle the insurance companies, so you can focus on getting better; and
- Constantly communicate with you through every stage of the claims process, making sure you always know exactly what is going on.
Schedule Your Free Consultation Today
At the Premier Law Group, we offer free consultations for all bicycle accident victims and their families. Reach out to us today to get started.