How Can a Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Help Me?
Drunk driving accidents (DUI) often have devastating effects in peoples lives. In fact, we have seen first hand with our clients the hardships people go through because of this. That’s why it’s so important to hire an experienced Seattle drunk driving accident lawyer! An expert DUI attorney who can ensure that those injured by a drunk driver get justice.
At Premier Law Group, we understand the impact a drunk driving crash has on our clients. We see situations like yours every day and know how challenging it makes day to day life. That is to say, after an accident, you should not have to fight with an insurance company. Our expert Seattle auto accident team will handle everything so you can focus on your recovery.
We Only Represent DUI Victims
Some attorneys will represent both drunk driving crash victims, and drunk drivers in criminal cases. On the other hand, at Premier Law Group, we only represent the victims of drunk driving crashes. We do not want to represent DUI offenders who are responsible for harming other people in horrible accidents.
What Are The Statistics About Drunk Driving Accidents in Washington State?
Currently, drunk driving is the single greatest factor relating to fatal traffic crashes in Washington State. Consequently, a number of impaired driving laws have passed. However, fatalities resulting from DUIs remain constant.
- According to the Washington State Traffic Safety Commission, a driver can drive drunk 200 to 2,000 times before an arrest.
- Furthermore, repeat DUI drivers are 62% more likely to be involved in fatal crashes than drivers without previous DUI arrests.
- Additionally, between 2003 and 2012, drunk driving crashes killed 1,921 people in Washington.
Lawsuits Against Drunk Drivers: Civil vs Criminal Proceedings
Criminal proceedings punish drunk drivers for breaking the law. Another key point of criminal proceedings is to protect the public by discouraging impaired or drunk driving. That is to say, even if there are no accidents or injuries, driving drunk can result in criminal prosecution.
Civil cases happen when a person is injured by a drunk driver and files a claim or a lawsuit. When drunk driving crashes have fatal results, a wrongful death lawsuit can be filed. Additionally, civil suits are often the only way to recover damages. To clarify, these damages can relate to medical treatment costs, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering.
Most importantly, criminal proceedings and civil cases are completely separate and do not have an impact on one another. At Premier Law Group, we will represent you in a civil personal injury claim. Similarly, we will cooperate with criminal prosecutors to help bring the person who causes injury to our client to justice.
What Compensation Am I Entitled to After a Drunk Driving Crash?
In Seattle, an injured person is entitled to compensation for lost wages and medical expenses. Therefore, when a drunk driver causes injury, you are entitled to the following:
- Medical expenses. You can have your medical bills paid for by the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
- Lost wages. If you miss work because of injuries resulting from a drunk driving crash, you can be compensated for those wages.
- Loss of essential services. If you are no longer able to perform certain duties in your home or for your family, those services can be paid for.
- Pain and suffering. You can receive compensation for the emotional pain resulting from a serious drunk driving crash.
- Loss of consortium. If a victim is suffering the loss of a relationship or companion in a wreck, that can be part of a compensation package.
- Property damage. You can receive compensation for any damage to your vehicle as well.
- Out-of-pocket expenses. Drunk driver injuries rack up high medical bills. Keep track of those bills to add them to your final settlement.
Drunk Driving Laws in Washington State
In Washington, the law states that drivers have the duty to not operate a motor vehicle when under the influence of alcohol. See RCW 46.61.502. A DUI arrest in Washington results in a license suspension, jail time, and up to $5,000 in fines and fees. Additionally, you may need to install and pay for a device that won’t allow your car to start if you have any alcohol in your system. The court can order you to pay for and attend alcohol or drug treatment.
Washington State Dram Shop Law
In Washington State, there are dram shop laws. These laws hold bar owners and alcohol servers responsible if a customer becomes obviously intoxicated on their premises and then causes injury or property damage.
Why Should I Hire A Dedicated Drunk Driving Crash Lawyer at Premier Law Group?
Finding the right Seattle drunk driving crash lawyer can be a challenge. At the very least, your lawyer should:
- Focus on representing victims. This ensures that your lawyer has some expertise in drunk driving crashes.
- Be well recognized. Your lawyer should be well respected. If your lawyer is not taken seriously it could negatively impact your compensation.
- Be approachable and accessible. There are many factors in a drunk driving crash claim, so it’s important that you have a productive working relationship with your lawyer.
- Never pressure you. Your lawyer should guide you and provide helpful information. At Premier Law Group we want you to make the best decision for your circumstances. We even offer free legal consultation for DUI victims.
- Be considerate of your client experience. You’ve had a hard enough time already. The firm you hire to represent you should make the claim process a positive experience.
Contact a Dedicated Seattle Car Accident Attorney
At Premier Law Group, we want to inform everyone who contacts us about their legal options – regardless of whether we represent them or not.
Call Premier Law Group today for a FREE consultation! We will be more than happy to speak with you and do whatever we can to help. That means, you wont just speak with one of our paralegals or an intake specialist. Our expert Seattle auto accident attorneys will talk with you directly! Give us a call at 206-285-1743!