Construction Site Injuries FAQS

Why do I need a construction injury attorney?

Who is responsible if I suffer an injury on a construction site?

How frequently do construction site injuries occur?

What are the most common construction site injuries?

What trades have the highest injury rates?

What is meant by a cap on damages?

What is the statute of limitations for construction site injuries in Washington?

Am I entitled to get money for the time I lost from work as a result of my injury?

How much do I have to pay to hire you as my attorney?

Can I change my lawyers if I’m not happy with them?

Why Do I Need A Construction Injury Attorney?

You need an attorney for several reasons:

1.        Pursuing recovery for any construction injury case is a complicated legal process that requires the expertise and experience of a highly trained construction injury attorney. There are many rules and strategies that take years for an attorney to learn and acquire. Therefore, never attempt to handle your legal case on your own.

2.        We can help guide you through the L&I process.  Having an attorney makes it easier to seek the medical treatment you need through the most competent doctors at no upfront cost. Knowing an attorney has taken your case will give doctors the security that their bills will be paid once the case settles. This is especially important to those who don’t have health insurance and cannot afford to pay for the cost of the medical treatment needed.

3.        Only an experienced lawyer can assess the value of your case after learning the full nature and extent of any negligence involved, the value of your claim for pain and suffering, and the cost of future treatment and rehabilitation or retraining. Chances are, without an attorney, you wouldn’t have much of a case.

4.        Most importantly, you need an attorney because the insurance company will offer you very little money for your injury. Only a competent, aggressive, and experienced lawyer has the means, the knowledge, and the ability to sue the at-fault parties and the insurance companies and force them to give you the appropriate settlement to which you are entitled. Insurance companies have a duty to protect and defend their own insured (the negligent party). They also have a duty to act in the best interest of their shareholders by saving money. You need someone on your side who has your best interest in mind.

5.        Lastly, when you have a lawyer, you don’t deal with any of the hassle, paperwork, headache and worry of dealing with insurance companies. You just sit back, knowing a skilled, competent, experienced lawyer who has your best interest in mind is going to handle your case and deal with the headache.

Who Is Responsible If I Suffer An Injury On A Construction Site?

In Washington, the general contractor and/or the owner developer is legally responsible for providing a reasonably safe work site and to enforce Washington Industrial Safety and Health Act codes. If you are injured on a work site, you may file a workmen’s comp claim. If negligence can be proven on the part of a third party, you may also file a claim against that person or the company he/she works for. Washington does not allow you to file a claim against a fellow employee or your direct employer.  This can often be a complicated analysis, therefore, it is crucial to speak to an experienced, competent attorney.

How Frequently Do Construction Site Injuries Occur?

Every year, 1 out of every 10 construction workers will experience an on-the-job injury.

What Are The Most Common Construction Site Injuries?

By far the most common construction injury is falling, many from heights. Other common causes of injuries are live electrical wires, trench cave-ins, and equipment malfunctions. Cranes, forklifts, and front-end loaders are at the top of the list. Back injuries are common.

What Trades Have The Highest Injury Rates?

Unskilled laborers are at the highest risk of life threatening injuries. Roofers and iron workers follow close behind.

What Is Meant By A Cap On Damages?

A cap is the top award for certain types of damages that a state allows. The Washington State Supreme Court ruled that a ceiling on non-economic damages, commonly known as pain and suffering, is not constitutional.

What Is The Statute Of Limitations For Construction Site Injuries In Washington?

In general, a construction injury action must be filed within three years of the injury. Because there can be circumstances where the statute is sooner or later than three years, it is important to speak to an experienced injury attorney.

Am I Entitled To Collect Money For The Time I Was Unable To Work Because of My Injuries?

Maybe, but it is very fact specific and is different for every single case. The best thing to do would be to contact an experienced Seattle injury lawyer who will listen to the facts of the case and help you decide whether or not you need an attorney to represent you.

How Much Do I Have To Pay To Hire You As My Attorney?

Nothing. You don’t have to pay anything upfront. You hire us on a contingency basis, which means we don’t charge you anything unless we win your case. We even pay for all of the expenses associated with your case out of our own pocket. Also, if for any reason we don’t recover any money (for example, if we find out later that the party at fault has no insurance), we still don’t charge you anything. However, when your case settles, we take a percentage of the settlement for our fees and costs. This percentage depends on whether your case resolves before litigation or after trial. Please note, however, that in Washington, the law requires that the client ultimately be responsible for reimbursing an attorney for costs advanced, even if the case is unsuccessful. Please contact us so that we can explain how this would work in your case.

Can I Change My Lawyers If I Am Not Happy With Them? How Much Is That Going To Cost Me?

Fortunately, you can change your lawyer anytime at absolutely no cost to you. All you have to do is call and let us know. We will immediately send a letter to your former attorney. As soon as they receive our letter, by law, they are immediately obligated to forward your file to our office. Also, they are forbidden to contact you. You are not even required to inform them of your decision. Of course, if they have done substantial work in your case, they are entitled to get a portion of our fees for their contribution. This will only affect our fees and will not change your recovery.

Back to Top