Highlighting Pedestrian Accidents and Safety During COVID-19 Crisis
As the weather improves and residents seek an escape from home confinement due to COVID-19, it has put a spotlight on the increase in pedestrian and cyclist accidents over the past several years. Last month, multiple pedestrian accidents made the Seattle area headlines. A drunk driver struck a jogger in Lynnwood causing life-threatening injuries; a man in a wheelchair died of his injuries after being hit by a van while entering a crosswalk in South Seattle; and a pedestrian trying to flag down a Metro bus in the Queen Anne neighborhood was struck by the coach and died on the scene.
Pedestrian and Cyclist Accidents Are on the Rise in Washington
The Washington State Department of Transportation’s (WSDOT) most recent Active Transportation Safety Report, reported some sobering statistics for our state:
- Traffic deaths involving people walking and biking increased 50%, jumping from 82 in 2014 to 123 in 2018.
- Pedestrian fatalities in traffic collisions increased 42% from 76 in 2014 to 108 in 2018.
- Bicyclist fatalities more than doubled during the same 5-year period, increasing 150% from 6 in 2014 to 15 in 2018.
- Pedestrian and cyclist injuries in traffic collisions increased 27%, jumping from 421 in 2014 to 535 in 2018.
- 22% of the total traffic fatalities in Washington in 2018 involved bicyclists or pedestrians.
Teen Pedestrians Are at Risk
With the increase in distractions due to technology, the pedestrian death rate for 12-19 year olds has been on the rise.
-Every hour a teen pedestrian is injured or killed by a car.
-75% of teen pedestrian deaths occur between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m.
Most teens who were hit, or almost hit, reported being distracted while crossing the street. The top distractions are:
- 47% Listening to music
- 20% talking on the phone
- 18% texting
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
These alarming statistics support the need for pedestrian and cyclist safety education. Knowing how much Seattle and Bellevue residents love the outdoors, the Premier Law Group Team hopes to lower your risk of being involved in a traffic accident while walking or biking by sharing some safety tips:
Be Visible to Drivers
- Wear bright or light-colored clothing and reflective materials.
- Cross the street in a well-lit area when it’s dark.
- Carry a flashlight when walking at night.
- Stand clear of parked cars, bushes, or other obstacles that may prevent drivers from seeing you crossing the street.
Avoid Dangerous Behaviors
- Walk on sidewalks or the edge of roads. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic.
- Look both ways before crossing the road.
- Stay sober. Walking while impaired increases your chance of being hit by a vehicle.
- Be alert to engine noise or back-up signals/lights on vehicles when walking or biking in parking areas.
- Don’t wear headphones or talk on a cell phone while crossing.
Be Careful at Crossings
- Use crosswalks or marked intersections.
- Obey traffic signals such as “walk/don’t walk” signs.
- Look left, right, and left again before crossing a street.
- Watch for turning vehicles; do not assume drivers see you!
Free Book with Expert Advice for Cyclists
We wrote a book, “Justice for the Cyclist,”and offer it for free to give riders tools to protect themselves and to provide a clear explanation of the legal process after an accident has occurred. Readers learn:
- How to deal with insurance adjusters.
- Common mistakes made when people talk to their doctors.
- How to choose the right attorney for your case.
Pedestrian Accidents Often Result in Serious Injuries
Due to the disparity between a motor vehicle and an unprotected pedestrian, injuries are likely to be severe, if not fatal, when a pedestrian is struck by a car, motorcycle, SUV, or truck. Some of the most common injuries sustained in pedestrian accidents include:
- Broken Bones
- Cuts and Lacerations
- Internal Bleeding
- Soft Tissue Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
Because pedestrian and cyclist accidents often result in serious injuries or death, the settlements and damage awards are often significant. Therefore, it is important to have the most qualified Seattle accident lawyer represent you or your loved one. The Premier Law Group Team has expert, award-winning pedestrian accident lawyers and bicycle accident lawyers with decades of experience representing victims and their loved ones.
Common Causes of Pedestrian and Bicycle Traffic Accidents
- Distracted drivers.
- Drunk or impaired drivers.
- Drowsy or fatigued drivers.
- Speeding or reckless drivers.
- Pedestrians jaywalking.
- Pedestrians crossing against the traffic signal.
- Drivers disobeying traffic signs or signals.
- Pedestrians not detecting silent, slow-moving hybrid or electric vehicles.
Many pedestrian and bicycle collisions occur when the motor vehicle driver is negligent and fails to respect the rights of the pedestrian or cyclist to share the road. When this results in a pedestrian or cyclist injury or fatality, the victim or surviving family members may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, lost income, and other costs. An injured pedestrian or cyclist can file a personal injury lawsuit, or family members may file a wrongful death suit. Sometimes, these cases may be settled outside of court through negotiations with the insurance company.
Get Help from a Qualified Seattle Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been involved in a pedestrian or bicycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation from the responsible driver. Premier Law Group is a Seattle firm you can depend on for effective legal representation. Our pedestrian accident lawyers and bicycle accident attorneys have been nationally recognized for their expertise, outstanding representation, and significant monetary recoveries for their clients. We understand the court process, the required documentation and evidentiary requirements, and the damages that you may be entitled to due to your emotional and physical injuries. Here are a few other things that make us different:
We’re Available 24/7
Clients can contact us 24 hours a day 7 days a week. We are committed to serving you.
We Offer a VIP Program
Premier Law Group is the only injury law firm in Seattle with an exclusive VIP Program. Card-carrying members receive special privileges including free legal services and special treatment.
We’re Connected to Communities
Premier Law Group has offices in Bellevue, Renton, Seattle, and Federal Way. We have deep roots in our communities and make a point of giving back through various community initiatives including the Teens Against Distracted Driving campaign, Distracted Driving Scholarship, Backpack Meals Program, and Teacher of the Month program.
Schedule a Free Consultation
At Premier Law Group, our legal team is ready to put their experience to work for you. Please call for a FREE consultation with one of our attorneys at 206.285.1743 or reach out to us online. We answer the phones 24/7.