What You Need To Do After Being in a Car Accident with a Foreign Driver

| Blog

Accidentes automovilísticos can be frustrating situations. It can be challenging to get through the process on your own, especially when there are special circumstances involved. An example of this would be getting into a crash with a foreign driver. 

In the United States alone, there are more than 230 million licensed drivers. This does not include any tourists or those who are living in this country with a visa or even illegally.

Different countries have different driving rules, so those who choose to drive in the United States must follow the traffic laws and other rules. Living in Washington, you may encounter drivers from Canada, Mexico, and any other country for that matter. If you are involved in a crash with them, what do you do? Are the processes the same? Here’s a look at what you should do if you are hit by a driver who is not a U.S. citizen.

The Process

The beginning steps you will take after a car accident are the same whether or not the other driver is a U.S. citizen:

  • Call the police, especially if it is a major accident. 
  • Exchange information such as the driver’s name, contact information, and any insurance information. Jot down details about the vehicle, such as the license plate number and make and model. 
  • Get photos of the accident scene. Take photos of the accident scene as well as damage to the car and injuries to anyone involved. Take notes about the time of day, weather conditions, road conditions, and any traffic signals in the areas. 
  • Call your insurance company as soon as possible and explain the situation to them. They will likely have you file a claim so that any damages can be paid for. If the other driver has insurance, you may be able to use it. 

If the foreign driver has no way of paying for your damages, here are your options:

  • File an uninsured motorist claim. If you have uninsured motorist coverage on your own insurance policy, you can file a claim and your insurance company will take over. They will pay for your vehicle damage, injuries, and other damages. 
  • File a property damage claim. If you have property damage coverage, it will help with getting your car fixed to some extent.
  • File a personal injury protection claim. You can work with an attorney to present all of the relevant medical information regarding your injuries and pursue compensation through your own insurance company.

Regardless of who is at fault, the laws are enforced. Every citizen in this country has the protection of the court to file legal actions for compensation.

Contact Us Today

Dealing with the aftermath of a car accident is hard enough. When a foreign driver is involved, things can get even more complicated.

The Seattle personal injury lawyers at Premier Law Group understand how frustrating a car crash can be. We want to help you navigate your situation and get the best possible outcome. To schedule a free consultation, fill out the online form or call or text (206) 880-7437.