In Washington, the most common situation where someone needs a personal injury attorney to protect their rights is when they have been the victim in a car accident. You have a right to receive full financial recovery for all the damages and costs you have received due to an accident, the law guarantees it. Some of these costs are:
- Medical bills
- Estimated cost of future medical care
- Car repairs
- Missed wages related to the accident or your treatment for injuries from the accident
- Pain and suffering
- Compensation for serious losses such as a disability or the loss of a loved one
Washington is an at fault state. This means that insurance companies will hire accident investigators to determine who was at fault, and the party who is responsible for the accident will cover all the costs and damages. In some cases there may be shared fault, meaning both drivers were somewhat responsible for the car accident, but in most cases there is only one driver at fault for the crash.
In Washington, what counts as being a car accident?
In Washington, any accident that involves one, two, or even multiple motor vehicles is considered a car accident. Common examples of car accidents include:
- Rear end collisions
- Head-on collisions
- Motorcycle accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Dangerous road condition accidents
- Defective tire accidents
- Distracted driving accidents
- Hit and run accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
Have you been involved in a car accident?
The most important thing to do is to remember that you have legal rights. Immediately following an auto accident, it’s important to be your own advocate and gather the necessary evidence you need to protect yourself. Some of the evidence you need can include:
- Calling the police immediately. You may need the police report to pursue your claim.
- Talking to witnesses who saw the accident and collecting their contact information.
- Taking pictures of the accident scene and damages to all vehicles involved.
- Be very careful with what you say. If it wasn’t your fault, don’t apologize and don’t insist you’re fine until you’ve seen a doctor. Insurance companies may try to use that against you.
It is essential to make sure you seek medical attention even if your injuries seem minor. It is very common for the adrenaline and endorphins to flood your body after an accident and this can mask pain you would otherwise feel. If possible, avoid speaking with the other party’s insurance company, as they will ask pointed questions and try to use your words against you to minimize your claim. This is why it is so important to work with an experienced personal injury attorney who knows the insurance claims process and who can fight for your rights and protect your interests.
Have you been injured in a car accident? Premier Law Group offers free consultations with some of the most experienced and respected personal injury lawyers in Washington. Fill out the form to your right or call us at 206-285-1743 to get your FREE consultation today.