An accident in Seattle ended tragically this week when a bicyclist and semi truck collided on Wednesday. The man riding the bike was killed, despite CPR performances by bystanders and medics when they arrived. The incident occurred south of downtown, near a bike route that is very popular with bicyclist commuters. Investigations are still in the beginning stages and it has not been determined what was the cause of the accident nor who caused it.
The weather is getting nicer by the day which means more and more bicyclists are hitting the pavement. In a bustling city like Seattle, tragic accidents like these happen. Bicyclists, do the following things to keep safe out on the road:
• Choose your route carefully. Know where bike lanes are and aren’t.
• Be flexible with your road position. Ride predictably and do not weave in and out of traffic.
• Ride to the right if you are going much slower than traffic.
• Ride closer to traffic the closer you’re going to the speed of traffic.
• If you’re going as fast as traffic, ride in traffic.
• Learn to use your brakes effectively. Adjust to various conditions.
• Make yourself visible. Lighting is everything!
These are just a few things you should do to protect yourself as a bicyclist. Stay safe out there! (And always wear your helmet.)