Uber & Lyft Accidents Lawyers
Ridesharing is a convenient and cost effective transportation option for many commuters in our region. As explained by the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner, the two most prominent ridesharing companies—Uber and Lyft—are an important part of the state’s sharing economy and their business model is subject to unique insurance regulations.
Navigating the car accident claims process can be complicated—even more so if you are involved in an Uber accident or a Lyft accident. We want to make sure that you have the knowledge and resources needed to protect your rights. Here, our Seattle auto accident lawyers explain what you need to know about Uber/Lyft accidents in Washington.
Three Steps to Take If You are in a Ridesharing Accident
Following an Uber or Lyft crash, you need to take action to protect your health and ability to bring a claim. Whether you were a passenger, a pedestrian, or riding in another vehicle, it is crucial that you know how to protect your interests. Specifically, ridesharing accident victims should be sure to do the following:
- Contact the Police, Secure Evidence: In Washington, collisions that result in injuries or significant property damage should be reported to the police. Drivers have a legal obligation to report the accident. That being said, if you were injured in a crash as an Uber passenger or Lyft passenger, it is in your best interest to ensure that the collision is reported. You should also attempt to gather all evidence. Take photographs, write down vehicle information, and get contact details for witnesses.
- Get Medical Attention: All motor vehicle accident injuries should be evaluated by a qualified physician. If you were hurt in an Uber/Lyft accident in Washington, get yourself an immediate medical evaluation. You will only be able to bring a personal injury claim if you have medical records.
- Notify Uber or Lyft: You should notify the ridesharing company as soon as possible after a collision. Both Uber and Lyft allow riders to report their accident directly through the app. A person who was in another vehicle and was hit by a ridesharing driver can call the company directly. If you are having any trouble notifying Uber or Lyft, call a Seattle ridesharing accident lawyer for help.
What You Need to Know About Ridesharing Insurance in Washington
Under Washington law, Uber and Lyft are required to provide commercial insurance coverage for all riders. As a passenger in a ridesharing vehicle, you are covered by the company’s commercial policy. Indeed, ridesharing passenger injury claims are always brought through a commercial insurance policy. When a paying customer is on a “trip” in a ridesharing vehicle, the car is a commercial vehicle. For example, Uber provides a $1,000,000 commercial insurance policy for all ridesharing passengers. The policy is active whenever a passenger is inside of the vehicle.
For Pedestrians and People in Other Vehicles
One of the primary things that makes Uber/Lyft accidents complicated is that drivers use their personal vehicles for a commercial purpose. When you see an ‘Uber’ sticker on a vehicle, that driver may be on a commercial trip for the company or they may be running errands or riding around for pleasure. If an Uber or Lyft driver is not actually “working” then any crash that they get into is covered by their own personal insurance coverage—not the company’s commercial policy.
How Our Uber & Lyft Accident Lawyer Can Help
We know that Uber & Lyft accident claims are complex. These large companies are highly aggressive—and their insurers want to resolve all claims for as little as possible. At Premier Law Group, our Washington ridesharing accident lawyers are here to help you navigate the process so that you can get access to the full financial support that you are owed under the law. When you reach out to our office, you will speak to an attorney who will:
- Review your ridesharing accident case;
- Investigate the crash—securing important evidence;
- Navigate the overlapping insurance policies, considering every option for recovery;
- Handle all correspondence with Uber, Lyft, or the insurance company; and
- Take aggressive legal action to maximize your compensation.
Call Our Seattle Uber & Lyft Accident Attorneys Today
At Premier Law Group, our Washington auto accident lawyers have the skills, experience, and specialized knowledge to handle the full range of ridesharing accident cases. If you or your loved one was injured in an Uber accident or a Lyft accident, we can help. To arrange a no fee, no strings attached consultation, please contact our law firm now. From our offices in Seattle, Renton, Federal Way, and Bellevue, we handle ridesharing accident claims throughout Washington.