Here in Washington, we’re fortunate to have natural harbors that serve as important trading ports in the nation. However, all the cargo going in and out of these ports means there is a large amount of commercial trucking statewide. Many of the commercial truck accident attorneys in Washington, and especially here at Premier Law Group, are all very familiar with the fact that large-scale commercial trucking poses a threat to public safety. In other words, drivers in Washington are at greater risk of being in an accident involving a commercial truck than most other drivers west of Mississippi. We also know that commercial truck accidents can be especially serious, due to the size of these vehicles.
You’re probably reading this page because you or someone you care about was injured in an accident involving a commercial truck in Washington State. We’re sorry for your unfortunate experience. These accidents can result in broken bones, internal bleeding, spinal cord injury, brain injury, other catastrophic injuries, or death. Large truck accidents also have serious consequences on mental and psychological health. This page will provide information about truck accidents to help you make educated decisions about your health and legal claim.
Assessing Your Washington Truck Accident Claim
Victims of commercial truck accidents often jump quickly to one question: “What is the value of my claim?” The short and often frustrating answer is “it depends”. No two claims are alike, and each comes with its own difficulties and nuances. Therefore, every truck accident claim, and personal injury claim for that matter, is assessed on a case-by-case basis. Thankfully in Washington, victims have a right to recover compensation for actual out-of-pocket losses and for intangible non-economic damages. That means commercial truck accident attorneys in Washington may be able to recover compensation for:
- Emergency medical treatment
- Medical bills
- Physical therapy
- Mental health counseling
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
How A Truck Accident In Washington Is Different From A Regular Car Accident
One of the things that makes trucking accidents different from regular car accidents is that the truck driver was performing their job at the time of the accident. The law is such that not only do we have the right to file a claim against the truck driver, we have the right to file a claim against the company the driver works for. For example, if the truck driver works for the Coca-Cola company when he causes an accident, the Coca-Cola company is indirectly also responsible for the accident.
The driver has caused an accident due to negligence, and the company has entrusted their driver to complete the duties of their job with the utmost attention. Due to the driver being under the direction of the company, negligence is performed by both, whether directly or indirectly.
How do we prove personal injury in the state of Washington?
Many people attempt to file a lawsuit on their own, yet turn up empty handed. We, at Premier Law Group, understand and have had great success with the basic elements necessary for a successful outcome. These elements are:
- You were owed a minimum standard of care.
- The party at fault did not meet that minimum standard of care, or was blatantly negligent.
- The negligence of the party at fault led to your injuries or suffering.
- The injuries or suffering has caused you to incur notable damages.
You are owed this minimum standard of care by the commercial truck driver in Washington. The company this driver works for also owes you a minimum standard of care, though it may look a little different. Minimum standards of care include and are not limited to:
- Truck drivers are:
- Licensed to operate the vehicle.
- Fully attentive to their surroundings.
- Undistracted and unimpaired.
- Following the laws of the road.
- Ensuring the safety of their cargo.
- Companies which hired the truck drivers shall:
- Ensure their employees are qualified.
- Run the proper and thorough inspection of their truck.
- Notify all necessary parties if their trucks are found faulty.
- Ensure the proper weights and distribution guides are followed.
- Maintain a regulated standard of performance for their employees.
- The state of Washington should:
- Maintain a safe and proper roadway.
- Use proper signage when and where necessary.
- Ensure proper weight, inspection, and safety via appropriate inspection stations.
What is Negligence?
Above, we touched on the four basic elements necessary to prove personal injury. Number two highlighted the negligence of an individual or company. So, what exactly is negligence?
Negligence, in layman’s terms, is “fault”. If someone is negligent or at fault, this means they were the causations of the incident in question. This could include driving impaired, not following the rules of the road, or distracted driving in other manners.
We, as ethical humans, each owe one another a minimum standard of reasonable care with which we must act. Where a minimum standard of reasonable care is not provided, placing risk, injury, or discomfort on someone, negligence exists. The party exhibiting negligence will be at fault and shall be responsible for the neglected party’s injury.
To ensure a successful claim, we must demonstrate the negligence of the responsible party.
How To Protect Your Truck Accident Claim
There are a few steps to take to protect your commercial truck accident claim in Washington.
First and foremost, in the event of an accident, call 911 immediately and check that everyone is safe. Then, once you see that everyone is safe or the proper assistance is on the way, begin gathering and preserving the details.
Document what happened and who was involved in the accident. In other words, write down and take pictures of the accident scene, who was there, who did what, your visible injuries, and any other pertinent information truck accident attorneys in Washington may need.
Additionally, collect any evidence that still exists from the accident. This may include the recording of a 911 call, police record, and pictures of tire marks on the pavement. Make a record of this quickly before people or the environment erases the evidence as a matter of natural process.
When you’re ready, you’ll want to contact an experienced truck accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Truck accident claims can be confusing and complicated. Aggressive commercial trucking insurance companies often try to take advantage of the victim(s), due to the confusing and complicated nature of the claims. Insurance companies tend to fight to resolve claims for as little compensation as possible. They also tend to reduce or deny liability in any situation they can get away with. This is why it’s important to have an experienced truck accident lawyer on your side.
Are commercial truck accident attorneys in Washington meeting your needs?
The trauma you experience during and immediately after your truck accident may just be the tip of the iceberg. You won’t know the full nature or extent of your injuries, including whether you have permanent damage, until you have fully healed – perhaps months later. Insurance companies may try to pressure you into settling your claim before you’re ready. They do this as soon as they are able so you may be unaware of the extent of the damages, which means you cannot reopen the claim when those injuries or damages come to surface.
There are at least four things to look for in a Washington truck accident lawyer. Your attorney should have:
- A deep understanding of state and federal trucking regulations. This comes with years of experience practicing not just personal injury law, but truck accident law as well.
- Knowledge of how to handle the investigative process. This can be tricky for lawyers who have never done it before.
- Experience dealing with commercial insurance companies. Again, you want truck accident attorneys with expertise in this area.
- Preparedness for a catastrophic injury claim. As we mentioned above, trucking accidents can be among the most serious of personal injury cases. A catastrophic injury is a big claim and you need an attorney who will handle it properly.
Additionally your lawyer should:
- Have specialized experience representing victims of car accidents.(At Premier Law Group, you could say this is our “area of expertise”.)
- Have a good reputation within the community. A good reputation in the legal community and beyond shows that a lawyer has experience and other qualifications. (We’re proud to say that our Washington car accident attorneys are recognized by the media and receive awards from various organizations on a regular basis. We also have a track-record of getting excellent case results.)
- Be accessible and approachable. There’s a lot at stake in a car accident claim, so it’s important that you have a good and productive working relationship with your lawyer. (We’re known as the “approachable” car accident attorneys in Washington).
- Never pressure you. Instead, your lawyer should guide you and provide the information required for you to make the best decisions. (This is the mark of a real professional.)
- Be considerate of your client experience. You’ve been through enough already! The firm you choose should make the process of working with them a positive experience for you. (We’re pleased to have excellent client satisfaction and be the only car accident law firm in the state to offer a VIP Program.)
Why You Should Choose Premier Law Group
Premier Law Group is Washington’s premier personal injury law firm. We are a down-to-earth team, dedicated to exceptional client service, specializing in personal injury law, and committed to our communities – guaranteed.
We’re not your stereotypical stuffy lawyers. We cultivate a fresh and down-to-earth culture that makes a difference in the client experience. For example, we don’t talk at you during consultations, we talk with you. Delivering outstanding client service is important to us so we aim for 100% client satisfaction, and according to our reviews, that’s precisely what we deliver! We have extensive qualifications and experience in personal injury law and with Washington truck accidents in particular. Our expertise may be most evident in our track-record of obtaining exceptional results for clients. We believe in leaving the world a better place than we found it, which is why we host a series of campaigns that give back to our communities.
Additionally, we are:
The Only Injury Law Firm In Washington State That Offers A Triple Guarantee
We understand the stressful financial impact a truck accident will cause, and we hope to not cause additional undue stress. That’s why we promise these three things:
- When you contact us about your personal injury matter, you’ll speak directly with an attorney – not just a receptionist or intake specialist. Furthermore, we’ll be upfront about whether you even need an attorney to settle your claim.
- If we decide to work together, we’ll provide a “premier” client experience, which means you get personalized service and VIP treatment.
- You don’t pay a penny unless we win your case. That’s our “zero fee guarantee”.
What Your Washington Truck Accident Lawyer At Premier Law Group Will Do For You
The Washington truck accident attorneys at Premier Law Group will:
- Listen carefully to your needs, questions, and concerns
- Handle all the legal issues so you can focus on healing
- Deal with the insurance companies and lawyers
- Order all medical records and bills related to your injuries
- Walk you through the litigation process so you fully understand what is happening
- Communicate with you regularly so you know how your case is progressing
The Premier Law Group Advantage
Our mission is to ensure that everyone who contacts us ends up more informed about their legal options – whether we end up representing them or not. Contact Premier Law Group to schedule your free case review with a lawyer specializing in car accidents.
The Premier Law Group has been assisting Washington state commercial truck accident victims for over 20 years receive the compensation they deserve for the injuries they sustained from the negligence of other parties. Our goal is to get you on the road to recovery with peace of mind and financial security.
If you’re ready to speak with one of our commercial truck accident attorneys in Washington about your claim, call 206.880.7416 to schedule a free initial consultation now. You’ll speak directly with a qualified attorney, and at the very least, become more informed about your legal options.
What Premier Law Group Clients Say…
“These guys will get you handled right” – Jesse Fox
“Reality based, honest and able to explain the law process in every day understandable terms.” – Stephen Blay
“Great personal service!” – Jina Long