Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Bellevue
Riding a bicycle is a great way to get some exercise in, commute without incurring many costs, and spend time outdoors. However, riding a bicycle also means putting yourself at risk – drivers of motor vehicles on the road don’t always exercise the degree of care that’s owed to cyclists and others. If a bicycle accident occurs, the cyclist involved is likely to suffer serious injuries, including injuries that may be fatal. In fact, it is reported that there are nearly one thousand fatal bicycle accidents in the United States each year. If you’re the victim of a bicycle accident in Bellevue, or the surviving loved one of an accident victim, our bicycle accident lawyers may be able to help you with your claim and make things right again.
At Premier Law Group, our experienced bicycle accident lawyers are proud to help clients in Bellevue, Washington, and throughout King County, Pierce County, and Snohomish County as well as the rest of Washington state. We understand that the process of healing physically and emotionally from a bicycle accident may be extremely stressful on victims which is why we provide clients with unparalleled service and care. Our dedicated legal team will provide you with the committed representation you deserve as you pursue financial compensation for the losses you have suffered as a result of someone else’s negligence. Reach out to our experienced and knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyers today to learn more about your legal rights and how our team can be of assistance.
Steps to Take After a Bicycle Accident
If you are struck by a motor vehicle while riding a bicycle, you will likely suffer extensive injuries and be left wondering what your next steps should be. The following steps are crucial to your safety and well being following a bicycle accident:
- Call emergency services
- Do not leave the scene of the accident
- Check for the severity of your injuries and if you are able to move
- Take photos and videos of the accident scene, your property damage, and any visible injuries if possible
- Get witness contact information if they approach you after the accident
- Get the contact and insurance information of the driver who hit you
- Give your statement to the attending police officer for the accident report
- Seek medical attention even if you do not immediately feel injured
Once you are on the road to recovery, you should contact one of our skilled bicycle accident lawyers as soon as possible to begin the process of filing your accident claim.
What Causes Bellevue Bicycle Accidents?
Part of putting an end to bicycle accidents–as well as ensuring that those who have been involved in bike crashes are compensated for their harm–is determining how bicycle accidents happen. Sadly, the vast majority of bicycle accidents would never occur but for the errors of drivers on the road. Driver negligence, which is entirely preventable, is the leading cause of cyclist harm. Examples of driver negligence that can result in a cyclist being hit include:
- Following too closely
- Making a right-hand turn in front of a cyclist
- Making a left-hand turn into a cyclist
- Failing to provide enough distance between a car and a bicyclist to the right (on the shoulder/bike lane)
- Driving while intoxicated or impaired
- Distracted driving
Bicycle accidents often occur because the driver of the motor vehicle doesn’t see the cyclist. While this is usually a result of the driver’s negligence, wearing lights, bright colors, and reflective materials can all help a bicyclist to be more visible.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries in Bellevue, WA
Even when a bicyclist does everything in their power to be safe, they may still fall victim to another person’s negligence. If a bicyclist is struck by a motor vehicle, they may suffer minor or serious injuries. These injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head Injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Facial injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Crushed limbs
- Broken bones
- Bone fracture injuries
- Loss of limbs
- Road rash
- Soft tissue injuries
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Bicycle injuries can be permanently impairing, resulting in long-term disability, lost wages, and high medical costs and future care costs (such as the costs of a home health aid). There are also non-economic losses associated with bicycle crashes, including the value of the cyclist’s pain, suffering, psychological harm, and emotional distress. Our experienced bicycle accident lawyers may be able to help you understand what damages you may be eligible to collect.
Who Pays For Damages After A Crash?
Our Bellevue bicycle accident lawyers are passionate about helping cyclists recover the compensation that they deserve after a serious crash. When you hire our law firm, we will investigate your case to determine who is at fault. Because Washington is an at-fault state, if you’ve been hit by a driver of a motor vehicle, you maintain the right to file a claim for damages against the driver’s insurance. You may also have coverage through your own insurance policy, depending on the situation and the coverage types you carry (this is possible even if you were riding your bike rather than driving at the time of the crash). If another party was to blame, such as the party responsible for road maintenance, or the manufacturer of your bike (if a bike defect caused the crash) you have a right to bring forth a claim against the at-fault party.
Our law firm may be able to determine and prove fault, calculate your damages, and negotiate your settlement. We know how much you’ve suffered, and want to make sure you receive the compensation you need and the best attorney representation possible.
Top Reasons To Work With a Bellevue Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Even if you’ve been seriously injured, you may not be sure if you need a lawyer. If you want to recover the maximum compensation award possible, though, working with an attorney is strongly recommended. The top reasons to work with a Bellevue bicycle accident lawyer include:
- The fault may be disputed: If you are found to be partially at fault for your accident, your settlement can be reduced in proportion to your degree of damages.
- The insurer may deny your claim: Don’t assume that an insurance company will approve your claim – insurers are constantly on the lookout for ways to deny claims, including placing blame on your shoulders, claiming that your injuries were preexisting or less severe than they actually are, or stating that the policy in place doesn’t apply to your situation.
- You may be offered less than you deserve: Even if your claim is approved, you may be offered less than you deserve. This is where our law firm can provide you with the expert negotiation skills necessary.
Our bicycle accident legal team is dedicated to providing our clients with the top-of-the-line service as we help them pursue the justice that they deserve.
How Our Bellevue Bicycle Accident Lawyers Can Help
Bicycle accident claims can be complicated. Injured cyclists deserve justice and a full financial settlement. If you or your loved one suffered a serious injury in a bicycle accident, it is imperative that you consult with an experienced attorney. No matter the specific circumstances of your case, we are ready to take action to protect your rights and help you get the best possible settlement or resolution. Among other things, our Bellevue bicycle accident attorneys will:
- Conduct a free, in-depth evaluation of your bicycle accident injury claim
- Listen to your story and explain your legal rights
- Investigate the bicycle accident—gathering important evidence
- Order all medical records and medical bills, thoroughly documenting your damages
- Handle the insurance companies, so you can focus on getting better
- Constantly communicate with you through every stage of the claims process, making sure you always know exactly what is going on
We pride ourselves on the dedicated care and representation we provide our clients. We believe that each client we work with deserves to receive the maximum amount of compensation possible for the losses they have suffered at the hands of a negligent driver, and we will fight for you to get everything we can.
Partner With a Bellevue Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Going for a bicycle ride should be a fun way to commute and get some exercise. Unfortunately, many bicycle rides end in disaster for riders when they are struck by a motor vehicle. If you have been injured in a Bellevue bicycle accident, you may want to partner with an experienced Bellevue personal injury attorney.
At Premier Law Group, we are proud to help our clients build strong bicycle accident claims in order to help them seek the financial compensation they are owed. Our skilled legal team offers clients the unique and dedicated representation you deserve. To set up a free consultation, contact us here or call (206) 880-7518.