Carbon monoxide is a silent, odorless poison gas that may cause extreme illness or death to victims who have been unknowingly but continuously exposed. There are vital safety steps you can take to avoid Carbon Monoxide poisoning this summer, such as making sure the batteries on your CO detector are freshly changed. Carbon monoxide can be found in numerous appliances in your house, and fumes can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces.
If you have been affected by carbon monoxide poisoning, you must seek medical attention right away. If your injuries are due to a property owner’s negligence, they may be liable for the damages they have caused. Speak to an experienced Washington personal injury lawyer at Premier Law Group for an assessment of your case.
6 Safety Tips to Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning During the Summer in Washington
Homeowners are the largest group affected by carbon monoxide poisoning, with over 400 people experiencing fatality due to accidental poisoning annually. Many incidents of CO poisoning are preventable with proper safety precautions.
The following are safety tips that may help you avoid carbon monoxide poisoning during the summer:
1. Educate Yourself on Common Symptoms and Risks of CO Poisoning
Everyday appliances that you may use may produce carbon monoxide, and it is vital to be aware of which ones need to be properly maintained and mindful of. Appliances such as furnaces, fireplaces, gas appliances, vehicles, and generators can be producers of CO. When these devices are poorly maintained or vented, they can disperse this toxic gas throughout your home. Serious symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Chest pain
- Loss of consciousness
Promptly seek medical attention if you experience any of these symptoms. Speak to an experienced Washington personal injury lawyer if a property owner neglected to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. You may be able to recover just compensation for your substantial injuries.
2. Use Proper Ventilation and Keep All Vents Clear
When power outages occur after a severe storm or inclement weather, using alternative methods of power can result in an accumulation of carbon monoxide in your home. It is essential to ensure that your furnace, fireplace, stove, or dryer is properly ventilated and nothing is obstructing it from the outside. During snowstorms, it is vital to make sure that snow build-up is removed from blocking these areas.
3. Avoid Running Engines in Closed Areas
When you are running an engine, such as a vehicle, grill, stove, or generator, it is vital to ensure that you are doing so in an open area to avoid a build-up of dangerous gas. This also includes garages with only one open side, which may still cause severe injury.
4. Stay On Top of Regular Maintenance of All Gas Burning Appliances
Not only is it important to have proper installation of gas-burning appliances, but it is also essential to keep up with regular maintenance. It is beneficial to have a professional inspect your fuel-burning appliances once a year to ensure they are working properly.
5. Keep Fireplaces Clean and Well-Vented
Depending on where you reside, it is essential to keep fireplaces clean and well-vented, even during the summer months. Always keep the flue open to let harmful gas escape, even if the fire is slowly dimming.
6. Install CO Alarms and Inspect Them Quarterly
CO alarms need to be inspected regularly. Some may come equipped with a battery backup that may protect against the interrupted operation, even if there is a power outage. It may be beneficial to have CO alarms installed on every level of your home, within each sleeping area especially.
Injuries You May Sustain Due to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen in various locations such as homes, campers, apartments, and hotels. Depending on the severity of CO poisoning, injuries may range in symptoms and long-term effects. Because carbon monoxide poisoning affects the oxygen-sensitive areas of the body, victims may experience physical, mental, and behavioral changes.
Injuries you may sustain due to CO poisoning include:
- Brain damage
- Organ damage
- Impaired motor function
- Shortness of breath
- Muscle pain and weakness
- Problems balancing
- Vision impairment and loss
- Tremors and Parkinsonism
- Depression, anxiety, or PTSD
- A decline in cognitive ability
- Compromised short-term memory
- Decreased language and reading skills
- Memory loss
- Loss of personality
- Restlessness and sleep disorders
- Decreased social participation
If you have been severely injured due to carbon monoxide poisoning because of someone else’s negligence, speak to a seasoned Washington personal injury lawyer for an assessment of your case. An experienced Washington personal injury lawyer will be able to provide you with the proper and experienced legal guidance regarding how to proceed. Our knowledgeable lawyers will conduct a thorough investigation into your claim and obtain evidence pertinent to your case.
Speak to an Experienced Washington Personal Injury Lawyer at Premier Law Group
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be traumatic and result in long-term physical, emotional, and cognitive damage. Multiple parties may be held liable for your injuries and losses following a CO poisoning incident. Speak with a knowledgeable Washington personal injury lawyer at Premier Law Group for help; we will conduct a comprehensive investigation into your claim and obtain vital evidence that may aid in building a strong case toward a successful claim. The legal team at Premier Law Group can provide insightful legal guidance to obtain a favorable outcome and recover the maximum compensation you deserve for your losses.
Premier Law Group is proud to provide award-winning representation, focusing on client-oriented, compassionate service and aggressive advocacy. Our clients always come first, and we utilize all of our resources to obtain the fair compensation you deserve. For a complimentary consultation, call (206) 880-7518 or fill out our contact form.
Submit your review