The first thing that needs to happen is for the court to appoint a Personal Representative. This happens during a type of legal proceeding known as a probate action. A probate action is used to address the management of the deceased person’s estate. The prospective personal representative has to file a petition that includes a sworn statement to the courts. The personal representative is usually a family member or friend of the deceased but can also be a Washington wrongful death attorney. They will usually be a person that is reputable and trustworthy; a criminal background may prevent someone from being named the personal representative. The personal representative will be able to file the wrongful death claim for the deceased person’s estate.

Pin It on Pinterest