The Pacific Northwest: home to the Cascades, Microsoft, the Seahawks. There are so many wonderful things about this area, and it is by far one of the most beautiful places to live in the country. But, with the territory comes a lot of rain. Everybody knows that, and a lot of us have been out on the roads, in the rain, for a long time. However, it is wise to refresh our memories when it comes to remembering how to properly drive in the rain. Here are a few tips from Smart Motorist and Goodyear Tires to take with you the next time you hit those slick Seattle streets:
1. Slow down. Don’t feel pressured by other drivers to go faster than you are comfortable with, as it takes longer to stop in wet conditions.
2. Maintain proper following distance and increase it in the rain.
3. Follow the tracks of the vehicle ahead of you.
4. If conditions and situations allow, avoid using your brakes and instead take your foot off of the gas to slow down.
5. Always check to make sure your wipers are in good condition, and replace as necessary.
6. Do not drive off-road.
7. Avoid driving through puddles of unknown depth.
8. Learn how to properly recover from a skid and implement appropriately (do not slam on your bakes).
These, of course, are just a few of the many things you should do when driving in wet conditions. Remember, you may be a phenomenal driver, rain or shine, but you can never predict what those around you may do!