When the Dog Bites – We Are Your Lawyers, Seattle
At Premier Law Group, we love dogs. Dogs who are properly trained, socialized and managed by their owners are wonderful companions who bring boundless joy to our lives. But we also understand that sometimes, dogs bite. When a dog attack is the result of carelessness or negligence by an owner, that owner is responsible for the consequences. And the consequences can be severe – including medical bills, time lost from work, and ongoing trauma.
The victims of dog bites are often children, and the trauma and injuries can sometimes last a lifetime. Fortunately, the State of Washington has a dog bite statute that holds dog owners responsible for their pets, and victims of a dog bite can be compensated fully and fairly. But there are time limitations, so if you, your child or other loved one has been bitten, it’s important to contact Jason Epstein and Premier Law Group as soon as possible to learn about your next steps.
Dog Bites – Scary, but Not Uncommon
- Approximately 4.5 million dog bites occur each year in the United States
- Almost 1 out of 5 bites becomes infected
- Children 5 to 9 years old have the highest rate of dog bite-related injuries
- The average cost of a dog bite-related hospital stay was $18,200, which is approximately 50 percent higher than the average injury-related hospital stay ($12,100)
- In 2015, dog bites and other dog-related injuries accounted for more than one-third of all homeowners insurance liability claims, costing more than $570 million
Facts About Dog Bites in Washington
- Owners are absolutely responsible for their dogs, and any severe injuries the dog may inflict on others, “regardless of former viciousness or owners’ knowledge of such viciousness.” (RCW 16.08.040)
- If there is proof that the dog was provoked, then the owner’s liability can be lessened or eliminated.
- A “severe injury” is defined as broken bones or disfiguring lacerations that require many sutures.
These laws do not apply to the lawful use of police dogs.
“Dogs of all sizes and breeds can be friendly, obedient and safe if they are properly trained and managed responsibly by their owners at all times. Most dog owners do this routinely, out of concern for both other people and for their pets. Sadly, some dog owners fall short of this common sense standard, and they put people at risk. At Premier Law Group, we have lots of experience fighting – and winning – on behalf of the victims of dogs who were not properly controlled. Often, the owners of the dogs who were not responsible enough to manage their pet safely do not want to take responsibility when their dog bites or injures someone. But the law holds these dog owners accountable, and we can help dog bite victims receive a just settlement.”Jason Epstein
What Are the Consequences of a Dog Attack?
Seattle has been ranked as the 2nd best US city to live with your dog. Dogs are everywhere, and we love it that way! But while most dogs are “man’s best friend,” some dogs can bite and cause serious injuries. It’s not just big dogs, either – even small dogs can cause serious injuries. Victims of dog attacks often suffer:
- Deep cuts
- Muscle and tendon damage
- Broken bones
- Blood loss
- Wound infections such as rabies, pasteurella, MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), or tetanus
- In addition to the physical scars, many dog attack victims, especially children, suffer emotional and psychological damage that can impact them for a lifetime
Were You Bitten by a Dog in the Seattle, Bellevue or WA Areas?
Premier Law Group Attorneys Can Help You
At Premier Law Group, we understand that being bitten by a dog is traumatic. Fighting for compensation shouldn’t make things worse! Our expert lawyers are here to help you through the process of determining your damages and holding the dog owner accountable. PLG’s dedicated personal injury attorneys have years of experience successfully representing people in Seattle, Bellevue, Vancouver, Federal Way and surrounding areas who have been injured due to negligence by a dog owner. We have won cases worth millions of dollars for our past clients, and we will do whatever we can to help you recover the maximum possible compensation for your trauma and injuries.
If you have been injured by a dog and someone else was to blame, call us at 425-531-7284 for a free case evaluation. In fact, if we handle your case, you pay absolutely no legal fees unless we win. You don’t have to figure out the next steps on your own. We’re the experts – call us and we’ll help guide you through this difficult experience with as much ease and care as possible.
Be Prepared – Get Our FREE Book Now
There are some things everyone looking for an attorney should know, and so we have written a free guide to help you get started. We cover topics such as:
- Not all lawyers have the same training
- The truth behind lawyers that advertise a wide variety of practice areas
- The real meaning behind many common lawyer advertising phrases
- Why some lawyers won’t go to trial
- What to look for when hiring a lawyer
…and MUCH MORE.