We don’t hear much about carbon monoxide poisoning, but it’s a topic that needs more attention, as it is a silent killer. In Seattle and Washington State, carbon monoxide poisoning is a significant concern. On average, more than 20 people die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning in Washington State, with most cases occurring in the fall and winter months. In 2006, a study in King County found that among 259 patients with carbon monoxide poisoning, eight cases were fatal.
As you can see, carbon monoxide is not something to mess around with. It is a gas that is produced whenever wood, charcoal, gas, oil, or kerosene is burned. Common sources of carbon monoxide include cars, trucks, gasoline-powered equipment, gas appliances, gas stoves, and burning charcoal and wood.
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, it’s crucial that you see medical help promptly. You may also be able to seek compensation for your damages. Contact a Seattle personal injury lawyer to learn more.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that can cause severe illness or death. Therefore, it’s important to understand the symptoms of poisoning so you can get prompt medical treatment. Here are some common signs:
- Loss of consciousness
Once inhaled, carbon monoxide decreases the capacity of blood to carry oxygen. It can cause chest pains or heart attacks in people with heart disease. It can also lead to permanent brain damage.
Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Keep you and your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning by doing the following:
- Avoid using items that produce carbon monoxide inside your home or garage.
- Never idle a car in a garage, even when the garage door is open.
- Never use gas ovens to heat your home.
- If you use a fireplace or wood stove, make sure that chimneys and flues are not blocked.
- Make sure carbon monoxide alarms are installed on every level of your home and outside every sleeping area. The alarms should be tested monthly. Change the batteries at least once a year.
Be wary of the most common sources of carbon monoxide in your home. They include the furnace, water heater, dryer, fireplace, stove, car, chimney, and BBQ.
If the carbon monoxide alarm in your home beeps continuously without stopping, it could indicate that carbon monoxide is present. If you are exhibiting signs of poisoning such as dizziness, headache, vomiting, or flu-like symptoms, find fresh air and call 911 right away. If you do not have a carbon monoxide alarm in your home, you may qualify for a free one. Contact the Seattle Fire Department to learn more.
Contact Us Today
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be caused by a vehicle, defective detector, or negligent landlord. If you or a loved one has been affected, seek legal help today.
The Seattle personal injury lawyers at Premier Law Group advocate for injured victims. We are available to help those affected by carbon monoxide poisoning. Fill out the online form or call or text us for a free consultation at (206) 880-7437.