Beware, distracted drivers! (Which we’re sure none of our readers are…) The Washington State Patrol takes their job very seriously, and over the next two weeks, they will be watching the roads especially closely. The additional eyes are a part of the “Click it or Ticket” campaign. Not only will troopers be looking for those who are neglecting to use their seatbelts, they will also be cracking down on drivers using their cell phones.
Around the same time last year, the WSP issued over 3,000 seatbelt tickets and made 11,047 stops. This year, 71 additional patrols in Whatcom, Island, Skagit and Snohomish Counties will be hitting the pavement.
We know a lot of you will be traveling for Memorial Day Weekend, as will plenty of others. Please, please, please, be safe and make smart decisions. A few reminders:
• Put the cell phones away! Do not talk or text while driving
• Limit all other distractions in general
• Buckle up and make sure everyone in your vehicle is buckled up, too
• Do not drink and drive. Use cabs and designated drivers
• Be patient. Road rage is not the answer
• Check tire pressure before making long trips
• Be extra careful of pedestrians